AREA AND THE ENVIRONMENT
We are always exploring new ways to improve our impact on the environment without sacrificing our legendary quality. This means we are taking a clear look at the lifecycle of our products. We are looking for eco-friendlier packaging that ensures that our products will stay clean and are considering organic fabrics for additional future products.
Concern for the environment is a way of life, not just a marketing strategy.
- AREA uses only top notch natural fibers. Excellent quality means a long, comfortable life for our bedding, which is good for everyone.
- We are constantly looking at ways to minimize the use of packaging. Unfortunately we cannot do without it as the fabrics need to be protected in transit as well as on storage shelves. A majority of our products are packed in polypropylene (pp) bags. Polypropylene is recyclable and is identified with the number "5" resin code.
- We encourage earth-friendly care for our bedding. This means: low-impact detergent, cold water wash, no chlorine bleach, no dry cleaning (please see product labels and our care page for more information).
- Our factories in Europe adhere to Oeko-Tex safety standards. By regulating known and suspected chemicals, these rules ensure that workers remain healthy and our products are safe (see http://www.oeko-tex.com for more information). 85% of our products are made in European factories. The remaining is alpaca from Peru.
- AREA's use of pure linen or a linen-cotton blend is a great choice environmentally. Linen uses fewer chemicals in the production cycle and lasts longer as linen fibers are 2-3 times stronger than cotton.
LINEN & LITHUANIA
Once, when we visited one of our linen factories in Lithuania, we were greeted with a big bouquet of linen flowers. We cherish these relationships with our suppliers, and regard them as an enormous asset and part of our extended family.
Lithuania, a Baltic coastal country not far from Anki’s native Sweden, has a renowned, centuries-old linen tradition - both in the growing of flax and in manufacturing linen products of exceptional quality. Our primary Lithuanian linen supplier was founded in 1862 and we have boundless respect for their knowledge, exquisite craftsmanship, and third-generation weavers.
Lithuanian patterns and techniques have even served as inspiration for our product design. One of the earliest products of civilization, linen does not require fancy equipment to process. And, of course, it's no small point to us that manufacturing linen products is one of the most eco-friendly textile processes.
Most of AREA's linens are graced with the Masters of Linen seal, a guarantee of European Quality Linen, the finest in the world.